These days, even though business trends are constantly changing and it can feel frustrating to grow your online business, I’ve found a lot of success in a specific approach that often flies under the radar, waiting to transform your personal brand journey.
Welcome to the realm of brand collaborations—a strategy not just for the seasoned influencers, but for business owners willing to embrace a strategic brand partnership that can amplify their presence and authority.
Since this is not only an effective method of business growth, but also a FUN one, let’s dive into more about what they are and what makes a successful brand collaboration.
What is a strategic brand collaboration?
A brand collaboration between business owners isn’t just a merger of efforts; it’s the art of co-creation.
It’s the moment when two minds, two brands, unite to bring forth something magical. And here’s a secret: your audience size doesn’t matter.
This mind-meld can bring forth IG Live collabs, podcast interviews, workshop developments, or even a digital product like the Instasite!
More than size, your platform shows your work ethic and seriousness…No one is willing to invest time and energy on a collab with someone who doesn’t invest in their own business first.
If you’re looking to grow your own brand a bit more before you’re ready to collab, my VIP day is a great tool for developing your brand strategy and connecting you to your brand’s essence – you’ll be ready to collab with your new biz bestie in no time!
How can brand collaborations grow your income, authority, and reach?
Brand collaborations open doors to new revenue streams. Think fresh products, innovative services, and ventures that might not have materialized otherwise!
They also expand your brand presence and authority, and introduce your brand to a whole new audience, potentially translating into new followers, subscribers, and leads. It’s an exchange that fuels growth for both parties, which is amazing for entrepreneurs.
This month alone, I’ve gained about 2k email subscribers from doing collabs with two different businesses… AND over the past year, a single digital product I co-created with my biz bestie has brought in over $25k! You can do this too.
How to ask for a brand collaboration and get to the YES!
The art of asking can make all the difference between a successful brand partnership and a missed opportunity.
Collaboration etiquette is a delicate dance that can either give you the reputation of a great partner, or discourage people from wanting to work with you
Keep in mind the key to securing a “yes” is to streamline the process, making it as easy as possible for your potential collaborator to respond with that “yes.” So, here’s how!
1. Set the foundation (this takes time!)
- Engage genuinely with potential collaborators on their turf—social media. Authentic interactions and support forge a solid foundation for future collaborations.
- Actually be interested in them! You should collab with someone who is aligned with your business values, so if you’re not interested in them that’s a good indicator that you should look elsewhere.
- Familiarize yourself with their content, audience and offerings! Taking the time to understand them, their mission and goals shows respect and commitment. People aren’t interested in collabs when you haven’t taken the time to learn about their brand and what they love talking about
- Build your own presence – I’m not talking about your follower count but rather the consistency with which you actually show up on your own platform! People don’t want to collab if you don’t have your own brand put together first. And if people see you owning your own stage, showcasing your authority and point of view, they might even ask you for the collab!
2. Time to make the pitch
- Send a clear request about what you want to collaborate on! Present a well-defined concept that aligns with your collaborator’s brand and interests (if you have no idea what you’d interview them about, or no specific collab idea, figure that out before you contact them!).
- Give them a few specific time options that are a couple weeks from the time you’re first contacting them – everyone is busy, don’t ask for it to be in the next few days or the next week. Also, don’t be discouraged if they are unavailable or not interested…not everyone is aligned! View it as a practice round, and keep reaching out to other people for a more aligned partnership.
3. Once they’ve agreed to the brand collaboration, and you’ve confirmed a time, keep up the organization!
You got them to the “yes,” but it doesn’t end there. They’re still a VIP!
- Send a calendar invite, and request their headshot/bio ahead of time. Show up to the meeting time prepared and ready to listen to them as well…it’s a collaboration after all!
- Have questions ready for your conversation, be it an IG Live, a podcast interview or a collaboration where you will create an offer together, always come in with preparation
Successful brand collaborations
As you embark on your journey of brand collaborations, I encourage you to start with Instagram collaborations!
(I know from personal experience that this is a wonderful option…I did a collaborative IG live series on leaving corporate to become an entrepreneur. It went so well that I did a second IG live series on building a brand that supports the lifestyle you want.)
They’re the most accessible for expanding your audience, acquiring fresh leads, and even paving the way for future opportunities like guest teaching on your partners’ platforms.
It’s time to rethink the notion of the “one-woman show.” History reveals that entrepreneurial success often thrives when innovative minds come together, each complementing the other’s expertise.
Beyond the immediate revenue streams, brand collaborations have the potential to unlock doors you may not have imagined. They can lead to speaking engagements, mentorship opportunities, and the invaluable experience of having a trusted ally to bounce ideas off of.
So, embrace the magic of collaboration, for it’s not merely about profit—it’s about cultivating a thriving ecosystem where creativity knows no bounds.
Check out some of my most successful collabs – like the Instasite, Stories That Sell or the Social Media Branding Package – and perhaps these offers can support you on your journey of building your authentic personal brand.