In today’s digital age, social media platforms like Instagram have become essential tools for building a strong online presence and connecting with your target audience. As an entrepreneur, you have a unique opportunity to harness the power of Instagram and leverage it for business growth. But how do you decide whether to use a personal brand account or a strictly business account?
As someone who has had to navigate this decision before, I want to share helpful information with you so that you can decide what will work best for you and your business.
Leveraging Your Personal Brand on Instagram:
Let’s talk about the magic of personal branding on Instagram. Picture this: your personal brand becomes a powerful funnel that drives traffic and engagement to your business page. It’s all about sharing your unique point of view and experiences in relation to what you offer.
By doing so, you create a genuine connection with your audience. Creating that trust and connection through your personal brand then drives interest and engagement for the products or services you’re offering.
Thoughts on Building Both a Personal Brand and Business Account:
One question that often arises is whether to create both a personal brand and a business account. My response is simple: do you have the capacity and ability to show up for both? As the face of your brand, you can merge both your personal and business accounts.
This approach allows you to infuse personal elements into your business brand, creating a more authentic and relatable experience for your audience. Maintaining two separate accounts requires time, effort, and consistency. While having both accounts can be ideal for certain situations, it may not be practical for everyone, especially for solopreneurs or those starting out.
If you’re running a product-based business, choosing a business brand as your primary account and incorporating personal elements can create a perfect balance. Showcasing your products, behind-the-scenes moments, and sharing your story can strengthen the connection between your brand and your customers.
On the other hand, if you’re a service provider, leveraging your personal brand becomes even more crucial. Use your personal account to build trust, establish yourself as an expert in your field, and create a connection with potential clients. Let your personal brand be the gateway that leads them to your business.
Personal Brand Instagram Account
A personal brand Instagram account is somewhere to share your unique point of view and experiences in relation to what you offer on your business page so people feel connected with your message and then are more inclined to explore your business offerings. You’re basically an influencer for your business!
- Authenticity: Sharing personal experiences and stories allows you to connect with your audience on a deeper level and build authenticity, which can lead to stronger relationships and trust.
- Differentiation: Infusing lifestyle and personal content into your brand helps you stand out from competitors by adding a unique and recognizable aspect to your brand identity.
- Relatability: By showcasing personal interests, hobbies, and values, you create connection points with your audience, making it easier for them to relate to you and your content.
- Brand Trust: Sharing personal values and experiences helps establish trust with your audience, as it demonstrates transparency and showcases the human side of your brand.
- Unique Perspective: Personal content allows you to provide a fresh take on common topics, adding an interesting dimension to your expertise and distinguishing yourself as an authority in your niche.
- Boundaries: Sharing personal content requires careful consideration of boundaries. You have to decide what you feel comfortable sharing and what is applicable to your brand.
- Privacy Concerns: Sharing personal information publicly may raise privacy concerns. It’s important to assess the potential risks and take appropriate measures (like not sharing your specific location while you’re still there).
- Time and Effort: Maintaining a personal brand Instagram account requires consistent effort and time investment. Creating and curating personal content can be more time-consuming compared to a strictly business account.
Strictly Business Instagram Account
A business Instagram account is designed for promoting products, services, brands, or professional endeavors. It provides a public presence by default, allowing anyone to view and follow your content.
- Professional Focus: A strictly business account allows you to maintain a clear and focused brand image, centered around your professional expertise or products/services.
- Efficiency: With a dedicated business account, you can streamline your content creation process by focusing solely on industry-related topics, saving time and effort.
- Networking Opportunities: A professional account can provide greater networking opportunities with other businesses, influencers, or industry experts, facilitating collaborations and partnerships.
- Lack of Personal Connection: A strictly business account may struggle to establish a personal connection with your audience, potentially making it harder to build trust and loyalty.
- Brand Differentiation: Strictly business accounts within the same industry can often seem similar, making it challenging to stand out and differentiate your brand from competitors.
- Limited Engagement: Without personal content, the level of engagement and emotional connection with your audience might be lower, potentially affecting the reach and impact of your posts.
- Relatability Challenges: Strictly business accounts may find it harder to relate to a broader audience outside of the industry-specific content, limiting your potential reach.
- Missed Opportunities: By not sharing personal experiences, you may miss out on opportunities to showcase your unique perspective or offer a fresh take on industry-related topics.
How Much Personal Content is “Appropriate” for a Business Account:
The question of how much personal content is “appropriate” for a business account comes up a lot! It’s essential to think beyond the traditional notion of what a business should and shouldn’t be. Instead, ask yourself, “Will this personal content relate, connect, and move my ideal client?”
Your personal content should align with your core messaging and resonate with your target audience. It should provide value, evoke emotions, and spark meaningful conversations. Remember, even “personal” content can be used to build authority and establish your expertise. Find a balance between personal and authority-building content, and ensure that each piece you share aligns with your brand’s identity and values.
Overall I believe in a personal brand account that acts as a funnel to your business account…some sort of a hybrid brand where you balance showing your lifestyle content and business expertise. This is perfect for service providers for example business coaches.
If you are a product based business, you need a separate business brand account to showcase your products and user generated content and a personal brand account that helps people see who the founder is, what their values are and how they themselves use the products. A great example of this is Marianna Hewitt, founder of beauty brand Summer Fridays.
If you are ready to build an online brand that allows you to live a freedom and joy filled life, check out my VIP Brand Strategy Day for a work session where you get my eyes, ears, and brains 1:1 on your brand as a whole to unearth the blocks in your brand that are driving you nuts and connect you to your brand’s essence for more alignment, impact, & income!
I also offer a customized social media branding package, which is a done for you, one-stop-shop, where we bring your vision to life with complete brand strategy, content strategy, creative direction, visual branding, and custom social media templates to launch your brand!